You may have thought we were done with the Only Watch 2011 entrants, but no – there’s more to come :-)
Here’s Laurent Ferrier’s entry:
[Press Release] Laurent Ferrier has chosen for the second time to join in supporting the cause of research into Duchenne muscular dystrophy. This strongly debilitating degenerative neuromuscular disease affects 250,000 people around the world, meaning one in 3,500.
The Only Watch event orchestrated by Antiquorum will take place during the Monaco Yacht Show under the patronage of H.S.R. Prince Albert II. As was the case in previous editions, the greatest watch companies generously donate a unique piece from their collection that will be put up for auction. The money raised from this sale will help to fund medical research.
In keeping with the Only Watch spirit, which offers collectors pieces representing authentic horological innovations, Laurent Ferrier is offering a symbolic watch for this event, thereby demonstrating its commitment to important causes. He has chosen to interpret the Galet Micro-Rotor, the latest addition to his collection, in an entirely original version: a steel case framing a chestnut brown dial with a guilloché-worked flinqué motif. Alongside its aesthetic appeal, this model is doubly unique in that it is the prototype of the final test phases that vividly demonstrated the exceptional performances of this unprecedented winding system.
This movement is housed within a pebble-shaped steel case enhanced by a “ball-shaped” winding-crown. The chestnut brown dial, guilloché-worked with a flinqué motif, is punctuated by a small seconds display at 6 o’clock. Over it glide “assegai-shaped”, gold hour and minute hands and a baton-shaped seconds hand. It ensures perfect readability thanks to the graphical arrangement of the applied “teardrop” hour-markers and the beaded minute track.
The exceptional finishing of the movement is in keeping with the finest watchmaking traditions. In addition to the Côtes de Genève motif on the bridges and the circular graining on the mainplate, the flanks are hand-drawn with a file, the wheel spokes are bevelled, the screw heads are polished, and the interior angles are hand-crafted with a burin. The micro-rotor bridge is also manually polished. The inscription “ONLY WATCH 2011” is engraved on the off-centred oscillating weight, while the barrel-bridge bears the words “PROTOTYPE N°1”. The sapphire crystal case-back provides a fascinating view of this fine workmanship and reveals its innovative structure.
The Galet Micro-Rotor is the second 100% in-house made calibre comprising technological innovations including:
- A unidirectional micro-pawl fitted automatic winding system fixed between the mainplate and the bridge of the micro-rotor;
- A silicon escapement with double direct impulse directly on the balance;
- A silent-bloc shock-absorbing system for the micro-rotor.
Thanks to the new construction combined with cutting-edge materials, Laurent Ferrier thereby maximises the energy efficiency and makes the most of the advantages procured by an off-centred micro-rotor. This movement features exceptional timekeeping qualities. Only a few dozen calibres of this type will be produced each year. Only Watch 2011 will have the privilege of offering one to its well-informed audience on behalf of a noble cause.
• Movement: FBN Calibre 229.01, automatic winding with pawl-fitted micro-rotor, 80-hour power reserve
• 18K white gold rotor with “ONLY WATCH 2011” engraving on the edge
• Barrel-bridge engraved with the inscription “PROTOTYPE N°1”
• Indications: hours, minutes, small seconds at 6 o’clock
• Movement diameter: 14’’’ = 31.60 mm
• Movement thickness: 4.35 mm
• Number of parts: 186
• Number of jewels: 34
• Frequency: 21,600 vph (3Hz)
• Case: 316L steel
• Water resistance : to 30 metres
• Case diameter : 40 mm
• Case thickness : 10.70 mm
• Dial: chestnut brown, guilloché-worked with a flinqué motif
• Hour-markers : drop-shaped in 18K white gold
• Hands : in 18K gold “assegai-shaped” for the hours and minutes; baton-shaped for the seconds
• Strap: in hand-sewn alligator leather with Alcantara lining
• Buckle : pin buckle in steel