Cyma traces its early origins from a small watch company founded by the brothers, Joseph and Theodre Schwob, of Schwob Frères and Co. in 1862.
The Schwob brothers named the company cyma, the French word for summit. In early years, the company had a staff of 40 people and 55 machines that together produced about 40 watches a day.
In 1892 the brothers partnered with Frederic Henri Sandoz, the owner of the watch wholesale company, Henri Sandoz and Cie. Under Sandoz’s leadership, the company became the Cyma Watch Company and built the Cyma factory in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland in the Jura Mountains.
Today the company is located in Le Locle.